Early Childhood Education Committee
What is the Early Childhood Education Committee?
The SSTUWA Early Childhood Education (ECE) Committee is a Standing Committee of the SSTUWA representing Early Childhood Educators in WA public schools. Paul Bridge, SSTUWA Senior Vice President, is the Senior Officer/Executive member, Jacqui Macliver and Cherry Bogunovich hold roles as ECE portfolio union officers, and are ex-officio members of the group.
The chair and vice chair are elected from the committee.
The Early Childhood Education Committee
- Makes recommendations to State Council on appropriate policies for the SSTUWA in the area of early childhood education.
- Makes recommendations and provides advice to Executive and/or State Council on matters related to early childhood education.
- Receives and gives consideration to matters as referred by Executive, State Council, District Council and school branches.
- Receives and considers reports related to early childhood education from outside bodies, and provides advice on such reports as appropriate.
SSTUWA members, who teach in the early childhood learning space or have a special interest in the area of early childhood education, are invited to be involved with the Early Childhood Education Committee. Nominations are called for at the beginning of each school year and committee members hold the position for 12 months. The committee may have a maximum of 15 elected members.
Members of the SSTUWA are welcome to all ECE Committee meetings. Union members do not need to be an ECE Committee member to attend and/or participate through the teleconference service.
Early Childhood Education Committee meetings are held each term.
2017 ECE Committee Meetings will be held on:
Thursday 25 May, Thursday 10 August and Thursday 12 October
Time: 4.15 – 6pm
Venue: SSTUWA Office: Level 3. 150-152 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth.
Parking: Available behind the union office (off Bennett St)
Childcare is available by prior arrangement.
Teleconference facilities are available by prior arrangement
A light afternoon tea is available.
Minutes are available to those on the ECE mailing list and on request.
Goals and Objectives
- To encourage members to become actively engaged in advocacy for early childhood education at a state and federal level.
- To engage early childhood educators in meaningful and pertinent dialogue and networking opportunities.
- To identify industrial issues and bring them to the attention of the union negotiators to influence the General Agreement and working conditions.
- To provide opportunities for members of the ECE Committee to be informed and engaged at all levels of decision making in order to build and develop the best and most appropriate education for early learners.
- To collect data pertaining to early childhood educators and further the knowledge and understanding of this particular area of education.
- To encourage engagement, dialogue and feedback from members via branch meetings, Western Teacher magazine, ECE Forums and the annual ECE Conference.
Assertiveness for Women in the Workplace: Schools and TAFE (TUT)
Wed 31 May @ 9.00am
Performance Management: Law, Policy and Process (TUT)
Wed 7 Jun @ 9.00am
Consultation and Negotiation in the Workplace: (Schools) (TUT)
Tue 13 Jun @ 9.00am