SharpReading for the Struggling Older Reader: Years 3-8
18 places available
Start: Friday 5 October 2018 - 9.00am
Finish: Friday 5 October 2018 - 3.00pm
New Premises: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street).
About the course
Almost every Year 3-8 classroom has them; those readers who still struggle with decoding fluency, whose reading age is one plus years behind their chronological age, for whom the gap is widening all the time and whose confidence levels about reading are in tatters.
This workshop will equip you to deliver a well researched and proven 8-10 week intervention that will develop those missing decoding strategies and rebuild reader confidence. The best news is that you can integrate it into your normal classroom reading group rotation so they don’t have to be withdrawn. We also take care of the next very important part, integrating the reader back into a mainstream guided reading program.
Highly recommended for the experienced or beginning teacher who wants to be able to do something for these students within their normal reading program, the learning support teacher who deals with these issues all the time and wants a fresh approach that is going to work.
"I feel ready to go back to my class and implement it straight away. Great to be able to quickly identfy the specific range of students who this will work for and the teaching resources are fantastic - everything I need is included." Jasmin, Year 6 Teacher, Christchurch
This SharpReading for the struggling older reader workshop includes:
- An overview of the issues facing the struggling older reader.
- “SevenPlus” - training in the delivery of a 15 minute daily intervention that can be used one-on-one or with a small group.
- How to integrate these learners back into a mainstream guided reading program once the 8-10 week intervention is over.
- A 40 page workbook.
- All the resources you need for a 8-10 week SevenPlus intervention.
- Twelve months access to the video clips from the workshop that model the teaching routines for review after the event.
- An extensive “SevenPlus” manual outlining all the research behind this program, additional detail about the delivery and lots of follow-up activities.
$ 100 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 200 : Members: Full Time
$ 320 : Non-Members
Morning tea and lunch provided.
We are able to supply a vegetarian or gluten free option. Please advise us prior to the event. email@example.com
Literacy Consultant: SharpReading
Christchurch, New Zealand
Members and non-members
Teachers of Years 3-8
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 2 – Know the content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community