SharpReading: Get Guided Reading Right for the Beginning Reader: PP-2
9 places available
Start: Monday 1 October 2018 - 9.00am
Finish: Monday 1 October 2018 - 3.00pm
New Premises: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street).
About the course
A big part of reading instruction in the early years revolves around the guided reading lesson - small groups for 10-15 minutes a day (if you are lucky). Have you ever questioned what you are actually achieving in that
10-15 minutes? SharpReading 5 Bits Guided Reading Routine direct from New Zealand is aimed to:
- Truly develop decoding fluency - this approach works!
- Provide a simple, structured experience that creates security for the reader.
- Free up the teacher to monitor the strategies their readers are using and then plan next step teaching.
- Provide for simple, manageable data collection during the lesson.
Highly recommended for the experienced classroom teacher who is looking for a fresh approach to developing decoding fluency, the beginning teacher who needs some structure to get an effective reading program up and running, as well as the relieving teacher who needs a stand alone routine that can be quickly introduced as a one-off in an existing classroom program.
"Your routine is great. The kids are reading! The levels of engagement are high. They are experiencing success. they are reading intensively, every day, without lots of teacher talk." Resource Teacher of Literacy: Napier
This Stage 1 and 2 SharpReading workshop includes:
- An overview of the SharpReading theory - “What’s SHARP about SharpReading”, the current research about effective teaching and learning practice.
- A comprehensive introduction to the SharpReading routine (The 5 Bits).
- Planning and data collection templates.
- A 25 page workbook that is a working document during the workshop and an invaluable resource afterwards.
- Twelve months access to the video clips from the workshop that model the teaching for review after the event.
This approach can be used with any of your existing reading material. It is not dependent on customised resources.
$ 100 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 200 : Members: Full Time
$ 320 : Non-Members
Morning tea and lunch provided.
We are able to supply a vegetarian or gluten free option. Please advise us prior to the event. firstname.lastname@example.org
Hilton Ayrey, Literacy Consultant: SharpReading, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Members and non-members
PP- Year Two Teachers
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 2 – Know the content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community