4 places available
This newly developed course is designed for elected TAFE representatives, deputy representatives and elected TAFE Committee Members. The course will outline the Employment Law framework and will include information around Common Law, Legislation, Awards and Agreements and where TAFE sits in the Industrial Relations system.
You will meet and work with the SSTUWA Legal Services team and learn about what they do including the role of Advocates and Case Managers. Know what legal services the SSTUWA offers to members and how to access it.
The afternoon session will also unpack the important topic of Dealing with Disputes, including your role as an elected delegate. This will include: getting all the information; identifying the issues and possible solutions; distinguishing between breach of rights and unfairness; how to locate and read the TAFE industrial instruments; and when and how to refer to the TAFE Organiser, JCC and STERC.
On completion of this course TAFE delegates will have the tools to:
• Better understand the employment law framework in Australia.
• Identify potential breaches of employment rights and distinguish such breaches from other disputes.
• Effectively engage in dispute resolution at a local level, including identifying when to refer matters to the TAFE Organiser, JCC and STERC.
• Identify when to refer a case to the SSTUWA office, and how to do so.
• Prepare information to assist the Union’s Senior Officers to make decisions concerning litigation.
• Use the most appropriate methods to pursue industrial issues, including consideration of industrial vs legal responses.
Travel and accommodation will be provided for 2023 elected regional delegates upon approval of the General Secretary.
Nil - Elected 2023 delegates only
Travel and accommodation funding available for regional delegates as approved by the General Secretary.
Morning tea and lunch provided.
SSTUWA Legal Services Team:
John Theodorsen, Mario Schmidt, Helen Oliveri, Liz Carbone, Simona Zachariassen
TAFE Organiser: Marina Denn
2023 Elected Union and Deputy Representatives
Committee members and Branch JCC - Regional and Metro
Members in TAFE colleges are eligible for five days of paid leave per year to attend trade union training (TUT).
To comply with TUT leave requirements applicants must:
Tue 16 Jan @ 9.00am - 4.00pm
Thu 18 Jan @ 9.00am - 12.30pm
Fri 19 Jan @ 9.00am - 1.00pm
We wish to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which we live and work. We wish to pay respect to their Elders - past, present and future - and acknowledge the important role all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people continue to play within Australia. We stand in solidarity.
Authorised by Mary Franklyn, General Secretary, The State School Teachers' Union of W.A.
ABN 54 478 094 635 © 2023