LGBTIQ is a committee of the State School Teachers’ Union of Western Australia representing lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) educators and their supporters. The group was formed in August 2002 and is open to members and non-members. LGBTIQ celebrates the diversity of sexuality, gender and sexual physiology and welcomes the involvement of non-LGBTIQ supporters.
We are committed to developing inclusive and equitable policies and practices in the SSTUWA and in educational systems. Our aim is to ensure that all members of school communities, including educators, students and parents are able to contribute and develop their potential in a safe and affirming school environment. This will be achieved by:
- Updating and promoting Union policy
- Effecting and promoting best practice in the WA Department of Education and Training
- Educating teachers, lecturers, administrators, colleagues and parents
- Influencing the development of best practice across the curriculum in order to address homophobia and heterosexism
- Encouraging increased visibility of LGBTIQ educators, students and parents
- Ensuring improved resources for LGBTIQ educators and students such as support networks, counselling services and access to relevant information including literature and the internet.
The SSTUWA LGBTIQ committee contact is:
Women’s, Equity, Equal Opportunity Organiser
1 West Street
West Perth WA 6005
Phone: (08) 9210 6000
Fax: (08) 9210 6001