Barriers to work, life and family balance
Women are still the predominant care givers in Australian society and can be disadvantaged by barriers to their working lives.
- Breaks in service or part-time/casual employment being perceived as career obstacles.
- Limitations on time available for work.
- Complications with capacity to earn salaries and superannuation including the impact of working part-time on salary and entitlements.
- Balancing family caring responsibilities with work commitments.
What can I do?
- At your branch/worksite provide support to women: women returning from leave, working in part-time/casual employment, and/or who have family and caring responsibilities.
- Be aware of issues which may be specific to single parent families, Indigenous women and specific cultural groups.
- Work with your branch to establish agreed meeting times which cater for family and caring responsibilities and include those on leave.
- Ensure that casual/part-time women have access to information that is communicated by the SSTUWA.
Updated March 2019