2021 Governance Training (TUT)
14 places available
Start: Thursday 10 June 2021 - 9.00am
Finish: Thursday 10 June 2021 - 5.00pm
Location: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street)
About the course
This course is designed for newly elected State Council Delegates, new executive members or any delegate yet to complete this course.
This course will equip newly elected officers with an understanding of their role of their obligations under the Registered Organisations Act.
On completion of the course participants will feel confident to ask questions, research and analyse information to allow them to fully participate in the democratic structures of their unions.
Each session combines discussion with ongoing evaluation by the trainer of participant understanding. The group work and exercises are designed to put theory into practice and to open debate to deepen understanding.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Explain principles of good governance.
- Incorporate union values into internal union practice.
- Define legal technical requirements of their role.
- Discuss their duties as Officers.
- Read and understand financial statements and reports.
- Discuss their obligations and Officers responsible for financial management.
- Explain the purpose of auditors and the need to rotate registered practitioners.
- Be aware of whistle blower protections.
- Understand the powers of the ROC to investigate.
- Discuss the consequences of failure to comply with the RO Act.
$ Nil : Members Only
Morning tea and lunch provided.
We are able to supply a vegetarian or gluten free option. Please advise prior to the event. email@example.com
SSTUWA External Organiser
New State Council Delegates
New Executive Members
Trade union training leave
Members in schools and TAFE colleges are eligible for five days of paid leave per year to attend trade union training (TUT).
To comply with TUT leave requirements applicants must:
- Submit applications to DoE/principal four weeks prior to the event.
- Provide DoE/principal with a printed copy of the course program attached to this form.
- Be nominated by the SSTUWA. See “nominated audience” on the attached course program.
The school will not be charged for the salary of the person attending trade union training - this is covered by the DoE. However, if a relief teacher is required, this is funded through the school's one line budget.
For school administration
When processing TUT leave applications:
- Ensure staff attending training have selected TUT Leave in HRMIS.
- Project code 1471 will be generated within the payment system.