Understanding Behaviour through the Lens of Self-Regulation
19 places available
Start: Thursday 30 September 2021 - 9.00am
Finish: Thursday 30 September 2021 - 3.00pm
Location: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street)
About the course
This workshop is divided into two sessions. The first half will unpack the science and introduce the Shanker Self-Reg ® framework. The second half is interactive. Please bring your own examples of students presenting with any form of behavioural challenges.
Self-Reg provides us not just with the "why", but also with the next steps on "the how". How to distinguish between maladaptive and growth-promoting modes of managing stress; between mis-behaviour and stress-behaviour; between laziness and processes deep inside the brain that impede learning or effort. And most importantly, what to do about it.
We are amid a scientific change in our understanding of the effects of excessive stress on behaviour, social-emotional development, intelligence, empathy, motivation, and character. The theoretical foundation of the Shanker Self-Reg ® framework rests on these recent advances in neuroscience, physiology, psychology, and clinical practice. "The Shanker Method ® explores, explains, and applies these new insights in a way that benefits every child, youth, adult and senior." Dr Stuart Shanker
- Principles and science behind the Shanker Self-Reg ® framework.
- The hierachy of stress response.
- What is stress and how it affects behaviour and mood?
- The difference between top-down and bottom-up behaviour.
- The difference between up or down regulation and why it is important.
- The importance of Co-regulation and what that looks like.
- How to map your own and others states using a simple matrix.
- How to set up micro-environments to help regulate a student and build their capacity to self-regulate.
- How to profile a student using a Self-Reg lens.
- The importance of Self-Care and how to identify if it is restorative.
- Where to from here?
$ 100 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 200 : Members: Full Time
$ 320 : Non-Members
Morning tea and lunch provided.
We are able to supply a vegetarian or gluten free option. Please advise prior to the event. email@example.com
Behaviour Management Consultant, SR Global
Primary, Secondary and TAFE
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community