SharpReading: Stage 3 - A Systematic Approach to Comprehension Instruction: Yrs 2-6
13 places available
Start: Wednesday 2 October 2019 - 9.00am
Finish: Wednesday 2 October 2019 - 3.00pm
Location: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street).
About the course
This course, direct from New Zealand, helps to create a manageable reading program in your year 2-6 classroom. It targets readers who have developed fluency with decoding and now have the available head space to process text at a much deeper level as they construct meaning and think critically.
SharpReading guided and shared reading routines are quite unique and shift the locus of control from the teacher to the students, providing them with the opportunity to truly habitualise comprehension skills and transfer them into everyday reading. SharpReaders do not just talk about the metacognitive reading strategies that they should be using, they spend most of their time using them!
Highly recommended for the experienced classroom teacher who is looking for a fresh approach to comprehension instruction, the beginning teacher who needs some structure to get an effective reading program up and running, as well as the relieving teacher who needs a stand alone routine that can be quickly introduced as a one-off lesson.
"My students have said, and I quote, "This is fun. I like trying to unpack sentences and convincing others that I know what is going on." "They really enjoy the clear structure of the session and the challenges it brings."
Year 4 Teacher, Napier.
This Stage 3 SharpReading workshop includes:
- An overview of the SharpReading theory - “What’s SHARP about SharpReading”, the current research about effective teaching and learning practice.
- A comprehensive practical introduction to the SharpReading Stage 3 routine.
- Planning and data collection templates.
- A 40 page workbook that is a working document during the workshop and an invaluable resource afterwards.
- Twelve months access to the video clips from the workshop that model the teaching for review after the event.
- Free teaching resources to get you going. This approach can be used with any resources, but SharpReading do have a range of resources available that make implementation effortless.
$ 100 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 200 : Members: Full Time
$ 320 : Non-Members
Morning tea and lunch provided.
We are able to supply a vegetarian or gluten free option. Please advise us prior to the event. email@example.com
Hilton Ayrey, Literacy Consultant: SharpReading, Christchurch, New Zealand
Members and non-members
Years 2-6 Teachers
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 2 – Know the content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community