Union Representative Training Level One: Schools (TUT)
18 places available
Start: Thursday 23 February 2023 - 9.00am
Finish: Friday 24 February 2023 - 3.00pm
Location: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street).
About the course
This two-day course is designed for both Union Representatives and Deputy Representatives.
The training will provide essential knowledge and skills to support representatives in their important role of providing union leadership in schools. Learn the roles and responsibilities of this position and build confidence to succeed in this role.
SSTUWA may fund travel and accommodation expenses for currently elected representatives outside the metropolitan area. Each regional application will be assessed by the Education and Training Coordinator for funding approval.
On completion of the course Union Representatives will have:
- A clear understanding of their role and responsibilities in the workplace.
- Practiced skills and developed strategies to represent, advocate, manage, advise and lead members at the workplace.
- Explored support structures and legal processes that lead to dispute resolution.
- Planned how to better manage union business at their workplace.
Morning tea and lunch provided.
Cherry Bogunovich, Education Officer SSTUWA
Natalie Swinbourn, Schools Organiser Teams Coordinator
Elected Union and Deputy Representatives
Trade union training leave
Members in schools and TAFE colleges are eligible for five days of paid leave per year to attend trade union training (TUT).
To comply with TUT leave requirements applicants must:
- Submit applications to DoE/principal four weeks prior to the event.
- Provide DoE/principal with a printed copy of the course program attached to this form.
- Be nominated by the SSTUWA. See “nominated audience” on the attached course program.
The school will not be charged for the salary of the
person attending trade union training - this is covered by the DoE.
However, if a relief teacher is required, this is funded through the
school's one line budget.
For school administration
When processing TUT leave applications:
- Ensure staff attending training have selected TUT Leave in HRMIS.
- Project code 1471 will be generated within the payment system.
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community