Dealing with Difficult People and Difficult Situations
5 places available
Start: Friday 10 July 2020 - 9.00am
Finish: Friday 10 July 2020 - 1.00pm
Location: SSTUWA building, 1 West Street, West Perth WA 6005 (off Thomas Street)
About the course
During this half-day course participants will learn how to approach, deal and collaborate with difficult people in the workplace. The course will explore the nature of difficult situations and examine how people react to different situations at work. It will explore what prevents us from having difficult conversations and provide techniques to create positive outcomes in difficult or challenging situations. You will learn to apply assertiveness techniques to respond to difficult situations without damaging relationships.
Within this context, participants will:
- Identify the common elements of a difficult situation.
- Analyse what works and what doesn't when dealing with difficult situations or behaviours.
- Identify the need for a difficult conversation and the costs of not having a conversation.
- Explore some typical emotional reactions to having difficult conversations (for both parties) and how to identify and manage them effectively.
- Explore how to plan effectively for the difficult conversation and identify the real focus.
- Apply assertiveness techniques to respond to difficult situations.
- Apply a process for resolving workplace conflicts.
Safety, Hygiene and Social Distancing
The SSTUWA is committed to following all up-to-date safety and health regulations related to COVID 19 throughout these training events.
We request that participants bring their own mug for use at training and that any participant not feeling well or showing fever, cough or flu-like symptoms cancel their registration and not attend.
$ 75 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 150 : Members: Full Time
$ 250 : Non-Members
Morning tea provided.
We are able to supply a vegetarian or gluten free option. Please advise us prior to the event. firstname.lastname@example.org
Members and non-members
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community