SharpReading WEBINAR: A Systematic Approach to Teaching Comprehension: Years 2-6
19 places available
Start: Wednesday 7 October 2020 - 9.00am
Finish: Wednesday 7 October 2020 - 1.00pm
Location: Online learning Webinar via ZOOM
About the course
Due to travel restrictions, the annual SharpReading Professional Learning events will be held via webinar with an additional 12 months access to the ONLiNE training.
The webinar will get you off to a flying start with the SharpReading approach to comprehension instruction and the ONLiNE course will give you ongoing access to the theory, video models, tips and suggestions for consolidating and reviewing your learning.
This course, direct from New Zealand, helps to create a manageable comprehension approach using a Guided Reading program in your year 2-6 classroom. It targets readers who have developed fluency with decoding and now have the available head space to process text at a much deeper level as they construct meaning and think critically.
SharpReading guided reading routines are quite unique and shift the locus of control from the teacher to the students, providing them with the opportunity to truly habituate comprehension skills and transfer them into everyday reading. SharpReaders do not just talk about the metacognitive reading strategies that they should be using, they spend most of their time using them!
Highly recommended for the experienced classroom teacher who is looking for a fresh approach to comprehension instruction, the beginning teacher who needs some structure to get an effective reading program up and running, as well as the relieving teacher who needs a stand alone routine that can be quickly introduced as a one-off lesson
This SharpReading for the struggling older reader workshop includes:
- An overview of the SharpReading theory - “What’s SHARP about SharpReading”, the current research about effective teaching and learning practice.
- A comprehensive, practical introduction to the SharpReading Stage 3 routine.
- Planning and data collection templates.
- A 40 page workbook that is a working document during the webinar and an invaluable at-your-fingertips teaching resource after the event.
- Twelve months access to the ONLiNE Course including video clips that model the teaching for review and ongoing learning.
- Free teaching resources to get you going. This approach can be used with any resources, but SharpReading do have a range of resources available that make implementation effortless.
$ 75 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 150 : Members: Full Time
$ 250 : Non-Members
Literacy Consultant: SharpReading
Christchurch, New Zealand
Members and non-members
Teachers of Years 3-8
• Stable internet connection
• Laptop/desktop computer with webcam
• Earphones or headphones with microphone (highly recommended)
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 2 – Know the content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community