SharpReading WEBINAR: The Struggling Older Reader: Years 3-8
21 places available
Start: Thursday 8 October 2020 - 9.00am
Finish: Thursday 8 October 2020 - 1.00pm
Location: Online learning Webinar via ZOOM
About the course
Due to travel restrictions, the annual SharpReading Professional Learning events will be held via webinar with an additional 12 months access to the ONLiNE training.
The webinar will get you off to a flying start with the SharpReading approach to assisting the Struggling Older Reader and the ONLiNE course will give you ongoing access to the theory, video models, tips and suggestions for consolidating and reviewing your learning.
Almost every Year 3-8 classroom has them; those readers who still struggle with decoding fluency, whose reading age is one plus years behind their chronological age, for whom the gap is widening all the time and whose confidence levels about reading are in tatters.
This workshop will equip you to deliver a well researched and proven 8-10 week intervention that will develop those missing decoding strategies and rebuild reader confidence. The best news is that you can integrate it into your normal classroom reading group rotation so they don’t have to be withdrawn. We also take care of the next very important part, integrating the reader back into a mainstream guided reading program.
Highly recommended for the experienced or beginning teacher who wants to be able to do something for these students within their normal reading program, and the learning support teacher who deals with these issues all the time and wants a fresh approach that is going to work.
Please note this is not intended for students with extreme learning difficulties.
This SharpReading for the struggling older reader workshop includes:
- An overview of the issues facing the struggling older reader.
- “SevenPlus” - training in the delivery of a 15 minute daily intervention that can be used one-on-one or with a small group.
- How to integrate these learners back into a mainstream guided reading program once the 8-10 week intervention is over.
- A 40 page workbook.
- All the resources you need for a 8-10 week SevenPlus intervention.
- Twelve months access to the ONLiNE Course including video clips that model the teaching for review and ongoing learning.
- An extensive “SevenPlus” manual outlining all the research behind this program, additional detail about the delivery and lots of follow-up activities.
$ 75 : Members: Part Time/Relief/Student
$ 150 : Members: Full Time
$ 250 : Non-Members
Literacy Consultant: SharpReading
Christchurch, New Zealand
Members and non-members
Teachers of Years 3-8
• Stable internet connection
• Laptop/desktop computer with webcam
• Earphones or headphones with microphone (highly recommended)
Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia
This training relates to the following standards :
Standard 2 – Know the content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community